Since its establishment in 1983, the Lions Eye Institute has become a global centre for ophthalmological care and first-class scientific research into the prevention of blindness.
One of Australia’s largest eye clinics and vision research centres, the Lions Eye Institute undertakes cutting-edge treatments and world-class research to achieve our mission of preventing blindness and curing eye disease.
Supporting this mission is a team of dedicated, internationally renowned researchers and clinicians, state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, and an institute-wide commitment to excellence, innovation and best practice.
The first of its kind in Australia, the Lions Eye Institute was created as a not-for-profit medical institute where fee-paying clinical services helped support scientific research.
When patients see their ophthalmologist in our clinics, part of each bill helps fund our research. It works like this:
Our Vision, Purpose and Values
Our vision – our aspiration
Better vision for all.
Our purpose – why we exist
To prevent and cure blindness and eye disease.
Our values don’t just govern the way we operate internally; they also reinforce our interactions with patients, collaborators, supporters and other external stakeholders. They are the principles that help guide us in the work we do.
We ask questions, are interested, and never stop learning.
We consider and respect our patients, collaborators, and each other.
We do what we say we’re going to do, and are accountable, transparent and responsible in our actions.
We make a positive difference to the lives of others and the communities in which we operate.
We support each other and work as one to achieve common goals.
Why Choose the Lions Eye Institute?
When you choose the Lions Eye Institute you are choosing:
- The unique complementarity of researchers working with clinicians to provide world-class care that is backed by science
- Highly skilled and experienced clinicians
- The most advanced treatments available in the world
- State-of-the-art technology and equipment
- Award-winning researchers who have made world-leading discoveries and advances
- An organisation that is committed to community outreach and making eye care accessible for everyone
The Lions Eye Institute houses:
- One of Australia’s biggest eye clinics, treating approximately 60,000 patients annually
- A Day Surgery Unit conducting approximately 8,000 surgeries annually
- The Lions Save-Sight Foundation
- Lions Laser Vision, Western Australia’s premier refractive surgery centre
- Lions Eye Bank, which collects, processes and distributes eye tissue for transplantation and research purposes
- A large ocular Clinical Trials unit, which currently has more than 40 clinical trials underway
- Lions Outback Vision, which provides outreach services to rural, remote and Indigenous communities throughout Western Australia
- Lions Optics, which provides a full range of optometric services