Dr Adam Gajdatsy is an ophthalmic surgeon consultant at the LEI, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Osborne Park Hospital, Murdoch Surgicentre and Albany Great Southern Specialist Centre. He has a sub-specialty in ophthalmic plastic surgery.
He completed his ophthalmology training in Western Australia before undertaking fellowship training at the University Hospital of Wales (Cardiff) and Moorfields Eye Hospital (London) in oculoplastic, lacrimal and orbital surgery.
Dr Gajdatsy has a special interest in orphan tumour research and was involved in establishing the Ophthalmic Tumour Registry of WA.
He has published extensively in peer review publications and given poster presentations nationally and internationally.
Dr Gajdatsy is on the Executive Committee of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeons (ANZSOPS) and is the immediate past President.
Areas of clinical specialty
- Ocular plastics
- Eyelid surgery
- General ocular surgery
- Cataract surgery
- Novel methods for eyelid construction and tear drainage following chemotherapy for breast cancer
- Genetic Mechanisms of Thyroid Ophthalmopathy through the Ophthalmic Biobank of WA based at the LEI
- The association between myopia and skin cancer (Lions Eye’s Professor Mackey’s study)
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of ophthalmologists.
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians of the United Kingdom.
- American Association of Ophthalmologists (International member).
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeons (Executive Board Member, Society Secretary). President 2015 to 2017.
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeons Executive Committee to date
- Australian Medical Association.
- Medical Defence Association of Western Australia.
Managerial / Other
- Member of the WA State Eye Health Advisory Group (EHAG): current.
- Head of Department of Ophthalmology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital 2013- 2017.
Teaching / Academic
- RANZCO Curriculum Review Committee 2012 – 2016
- RANZCO WA network director of training 2009 – 2013.
- RANZCO registrar training supervisor 2009 – 2011.
- RANZCO State Executive board member.
- University of Western Australia Unit co-ordinator and principal examiner, Ophthalmology.
- Medical student ophthalmology formal written, OSCE, and case report examinations. 2006 to date.
- Teaching of undergraduate students, clinical and didactic.
- The clinical teaching of Moorfields fellows, and also training registrars and residents in the UK and in Australia, including surgical supervision.
Current Hospital/University Affiliations
- Consultant Ophthalmologist Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital from 2005
- Consultant Ophthalmologist (honorary) Princess Margaret Hospital for Children from October 2005. Reaccredited 2012- 2018
- Consultant specialist ophthalmologist in private practice, Lions Eye Institute Perth WA 2006 – current
- VMO Carnarvon Regional Hospital 2005 – 2007
- Surgical list Osborne Park Hospital 2017 to date.
- Consultant Ophthalmologist Great Southern Specialist Centre, Albany 2019 to date.