Dr Jean-Louis deSousa is the Head of Department of Ophthalmology and consultant ophthalmologist at Royal Perth Hospital and also provides ophthalmic services to the central Wheatbelt from Merredin. He is an oculoplastic specialist in plastic reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.
He trained in ophthalmology in Perth before completing fellowships in ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery in Oxford and East Grinstead in the United Kingdom.
Humanitarian work is a strong commitment for Dr deSousa and he is a consultant and visiting surgeon and lecturer for humanitarian eye projects in Bali and East Timor.
Areas of clinical specialty
- Oculoplastic surgery, including eyelid tumours, eyelid malposition, cosmetic surgery, non-surgical cosmetic procedures
- Orbital disease, including tumours, trauma and inflammatory orbital disease
- Lacrimal surgery, endoscopic lacrimal surgery
- Pterygium (lead investigator on the SURPH – Study of the Response to AG -86893 in patients with Pterygium Hyperemia – Trial)
- Fellowships in ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery in Oxford and East Grinstead, UK
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgeons
Current hospital/university affiliations
- Head of Department of Ophthalmology at Royal Perth Hospital