When you leave a gift in your Will to the Lions Eye Institute, you create a life-changing and lasting legacy.
It is a simple, but powerful, way for you to support our vision for the future – a vision of a world free of blindness and eye disease.
And even though you may never meet the people who directly benefit from your generosity, you can feel confident that your caring gift can change their lives forever.
Family and friends come first when you make your Will, but, once you have made provision for them, we at the Lions Eye Institute would be grateful if you could consider us for a gift. Such a thoughtful donation will last long into the future and have minimal impact on your lifestyle today. And all gifts – large or small – are equally and greatly valued and make a difference.
Becoming a visionary
Visionaries are a special group of people who share our vision and realise the impact leaving a gift today has for others in the future. By choosing to include a gift in your Will for the Lions Eye Institute, you will become one of our cherished visionaries.
As a distinguished visionary you can attend special events throughout the year, be kept up to date on our work, meet our researchers and clinicians at events and get to know other like-minded supporters who share your vision.
What your gift means to the Lions Eye Institute
Your gift is vital to continuing and growing the world-class research and treatments the Lions Eye Institute undertakes. As a not-for-profit organisation, we simply could not do it without your support. Currently, around a quarter of all donation income we receive is from gifts in Wills.
For more than 37 years the Lions Eye Institute has been combining cutting edge scientific research into the prevention of blindness with the highest level of eye care delivery, supported by the generosity of people like you.
Your support enables our internationally recognised, dedicated researchers and ophthalmologists to make great advances in eye health – advances which continue at an accelerating pace – driven by our research and innovation.
For more information on the outstanding work being done by our researchers, please visit our scientists page.
How do I leave a gift in my Will?
Leaving a gift in your Will doesn’t have to be complicated. Here’s our five step guide:
Step 1: Make or update your Will
Your Will is an important document. It must be properly prepared. Discuss your options with a solicitor or lawyer to ensure your Will is legal and valid.
Step 2: Choose the type of gift
All gifts to the Lions Eye Institute provide valuable and lasting support to our research and treatments. There are a number of ways you can make a gift to us in your Will, but the most common include:
- Percentage of your estate – also called a ‘residuary gift’. Once you have provided for your loved ones, and taken care of any other charges, the residue of your estate is what is left. A residuary gift to the Lions Eye Institute could be a percentage or the whole of the residue of your estate.
- Fixed amount – also called a pecuniary gift. A pecuniary gift is a stated set amount of money that does not increase with inflation.
- Specific item – also called a specific bequest. This can be a specified item or asset such as real estate, art or jewellery.
Step 3: Wording your gift
It is important that your Will uses the correct wording to ensure your wishes are carried out exactly as you intend and that your Will cannot be invalidated. Here is some suggested wording:
‘I give, devise and bequeath to the LIONS EYE INSTITUTE LIMITED, free from all duties, the following (specify the type of gift you’ve chosen) and direct that the receipt of the Managing Director for the time being will be a sufficient discharge to my Trustees/Executor.’
Step 4: Notify your loved ones and the Lions Eye Institute
Talking to your family and loved ones about your Will is important. This will ensure your wishes are carried out and you can share with them that your gift to the Lions Eye Institute is an important part of your legacy and of fulfilling your hope for the future.
Any executors and guardians should also be advised of your wishes.
Letting us know about your gift:
- helps us with our forward planning
- lets us thank you today for your thoughtfulness
- enables us to keep you up to date with our research and future events.
Step 5: Legalise your Will
Until it has been signed and witnessed, your Will is not a legally binding document.
Our commitment to you
In return for your generosity, you can feel confident that
- We will always respect your privacy. We recognise and appreciate that your Will is completely personal to you. Your intentions will be held in strict confidence and not publicly disclosed without your express permission.
- We know your family and loved ones always come first. We strongly encourage you to talk to them about your wishes and share with them your hope for the future.
- We understand it is your decision. You need to make it in your own time.
- We will handle your gift with care and respect. We act with integrity and will use your gift carefully and cost effectively so that it has the greatest impact.
- We will give you the opportunity to stay connected with the work we do. This way, you can see first-hand the life-changing research your gift can make possible.
- We are here for you. If you ever want to find out more information about your gift to the Lions Eye Institute please get in touch.
Request an information pack
Please complete the form below to request an obligation-free brochure that details how you can leave a gift in your Will to the Lions Eye Institute. Our Vision for the future brochure will provide you with valuable information on leaving a lasting gift that can make a significant impact on the lives of individuals affected by vision loss. By joining us in pioneering research and medical advancements, together we can change the world as we see it today.
"*" indicates required fields