“I like the ‘can do’ approach to discovery and helping patients at the LEI. It is the only place in Western Australia where one can do fundamental eye research, then walk a few rooms away to see patients with diseases relevant to the questions we’re researching”
Professor Bill Morgan is the Managing Director of the LEI and sits on its Board. He is consultant ophthalmologist at Royal Perth Hospital and Perth Children’s Hospital, Professor at UWA and Co-Director of the LEI McCusker Glaucoma Centre. He specialises in glaucoma treatments and research.
He initially trained in Western Australia and undertook a fellowship at the Centre for Ophthalmology and Visual Science at UWA. He completed a doctorate in philosophy studying the response of the optic nerve to pressure – particularly in relation to glaucoma.
Professor Morgan, in collaboration with LEI researchers, developed a new surgical intervention for glaucoma called the Xen® Gel Stent. The Xen® Gel Stent is a microfistula implant that reduces intraocular pressure in the eye. This invention is in use worldwide.
Professor Morgan is also committed to community and outreach work. Together with Jakarta-based eye doctor Virna Oktariana, Professor Morgan has developed an affordable tube solution for glaucoma that will help more Indonesians access sight-saving surgery. Additionally he has expertise in eye disease within Aboriginal populations.
Areas of clinical specialty
- Cataract surgery (particularly in relation to glaucoma)
- Ophthalmic assessment of intracranial pressure problems in collaboration with neurology, neurosurgery and radiology.
- Pressure relationships across the optic nerve in relation to glaucoma and intracranial pressure problems
- Retinal vessel pulse wave and pulsation properties
- Effects of space travel on the optic nerve and vision
- Orbital lymphatic changes after glaucoma surgery
- Novel glaucoma surgery forms both in Australia (development of the XEN Gel Stent at the LEI) and in developing countries (glaucoma drainage device in Indonesia)
- Member of the Australian New Zealand Glaucoma Society (ANZGS) and of the ANZGS Committee
- Lions Eye Institute Board member
- John Fawcett Foundation Board member
- International Space Centre Advisory Board member
- OCANZ Advisory Board member
- Australian Medical Association
- Medical Defence Association
- Australian and New Zealand Glaucoma Interest Group (ANZGIG)
- South East Asia Glaucoma Interest Group (SEAGIG)
Current hospital/university affiliations
- Consultant ophthalmologist at Royal Perth Hospital
- Consultant ophthalmologist at Perth Children’s Hospital
- Professor at UWA
- Co-Director of LEI’s McCusker Glaucoma Centre
- Consultant ophthalmologist at Albany Regional Hospital
- Visiting Professor at Udayana University Indonesia