“For me, ophthalmology is a tremendously rewarding profession, constantly advancing treatments and developing new surgical techniques to improve our patients’ quality of life through enhanced vision.”
Professor Graham Barrett AM is a consultant ophthalmic surgeon at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and a Clinical Professor in the University of Western Australia’s Centre for Ophthalmology and Visual Science.
He trained in ophthalmology in Western Australia and undertook specialty training in the USA.
Professor Barrett has a made an extensive and varied contribution to ophthalmology, both nationally and internationally. He is founding and current President of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons and Past President of the Asia Pacific Association of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
He is the recipient of major international awards and is the first Australian ophthalmologist to win, in the same year, the prestigious Binkhorst, Ridley, Sushruta and Choyce Awards.
He has developed innovative instruments aimed at improving outcomes for patients undergoing cataract surgery which are widely used by ophthalmic surgeons.
Professor Barrett has published extensively in text book chapters, peer-reviewed papers, has produced award-winning videos on cataract and refractive surgery and sat on several industry editorial boards. He is a sought-after speaker at national and international industry congresses and conferences.
Areas of clinical specialty
- Cataract surgery
- Corneal and anterior segment disorders and surgery
- Recipient of the Ridley Medal, awarded by the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons*
- Recipient of the Binkhorst Medal, awarded by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons*
- Recipient of the Ridley Medal, awarded by the Congress of German Ophthalmic Surgeons*
- Recipient of the Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology’s Susruta Award
- Recipient of the Choyce Award from the United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS)
- Produced videos on cataract and refractive surgery which won awards at the American and European Societies of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Film Festivals
- He was named in The Ophthalmologist magazine’s top 100 global power list in 2016.
- Recipient of 2022 Queens Birthday Honours in recognition of significant service to ophthalmology, and to professional organisations.
- RANZCO Norman Gregg Medal for 2021.
*Professor Barrett is the only Australian Ophthalmologist to win these awards in one year.
- Devised instruments for all cataract surgery and phacoemulsification equipment and intraocular implants (including the Barrett Toric Calculator)
- Served on Editorial Board of the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, the European Journal of Implant and Refractive Surgery, and was Editor of the EyeWorld Asia Pacific publications
Current hospital/university affiliations
- Consultant, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- Clinical Professor, The University of Western Australia
- Founding and current president of the Australasian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Past President of the Asia Pacific Association of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons